Local Miami WildlifeNovember 4, 2016
Miami is a great place to call home. It is full of culture and has something for every member of your family. Real estate in Miami comes in a variety of styles and you can find the perfect home to suit your needs. Much like the real estate, Miami wildlife also comes in a wide variety of types and sizes. From insects to alligators and even a few species that don’t belong, you can see some pretty amazing animals in the Miami area. Let’s take a look at some of the wildlife that can be found here.
- Alligators – No Miami wildlife list would be complete without these large reptiles. While they generally leave people alone, they can attack if provoked. Small alligators are capable of sprinting up to 25 miles-per-hour, but generally do not move that fast.
- Florida Panthers – This is a critically endangered big cat. There may only be 80-100 of them left in the wild. They do not live within the city but are found in the swamps and palm forests of south Florida.
- Armadillos – These little armored mammals are not Florida natives. They originally come from South and Central America and were accidentally released. They have made themselves at home and can be found foraging just about anywhere.
- Manatees – These peaceful “water cows” can be found in the waters around Miami. They are slow moving and graze on sea and river grasses. Once critically endangered, conservation efforts have brought them back from the brink of extinction.
- Cormorants – These black birds are often found along the shores of rivers, lakes and even the ocean. After diving for food, they need to dry out before they are able to fly so you will often see them sunning themselves with their wings spread.
The Miami area benefits from near tropical temperatures throughout the entire year, allowing wildlife and fauna to flourish. You can find a wide variety of plant life and flowers that you may not be able to find anywhere else in the United States. You also do not have to go far to find coral reefs with corals, sponges, fish, and different invertebrates. Whether you are an avid bird watcher, enjoy finding and identifying various insects, or just enjoy taking in all that nature has to offer, the Miami area offers some of the greatest variety of wildlife anywhere in the United States.